Bill's Genealogy Blog

Bill Buchanan is a long-time genealogy enthusiast, living in Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada. This blog will describe my experiences as I research my family history and help others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada

I am a retired online school teacher. I love family history. Since 2007, I have spent much of my time providing part-time support for the world's largest free family history site https://familysearch.org This is very rewarding. I have helped others with the Family Tree and related FamilySearch products.
In 2010-2018 I served in the Edmonton Riverbend Family History Centre. I have a FHC blog at Bill's Family History Center Blog For information the Latter-day Saints and family history click https://www.comeuntochrist.org/

Saturday, January 20, 2018

A Wonderful Visit with My Mother

My mother, aged 97, has lived in an extended care facility for about 5 years.
This morning I had the best visit with her that I have had for the past year or so.

We arrived about 10 am and stayed until 11 am. She was in the cafeteria when we arrived, so we moved her to the visiting area. Mom knew who we were and was perfectly alert.  I read her some of my early memories and we were able to talk about old times. We were able to ask her about things and she was able to us about things. It was like old times.

Our visits with her before Christmas were not so good. We were uncertain whether she recognized us.

But our visit when we came with Laurel's family on January 2nd went much better. We arrived about 10:15 and we stayed for about a half hour. She recognized us, and we explained that Tananda and Nathan are expecting their baby in late February, which will be Mom's first great-great grandchild. We took some "4.8" generation photos.

Apparently, my brother Ed and his wife visited her at Christmas, and she did not recognize them and told them to go away.

James and Karin visited her on January 4th, and had a good visit, although Mom couldn't remember who was pregnant.


Those of you who have loved ones suffering from dementia, know what this is like. Sometimes, there are good days and there are bad days. We have found that visits early in the day work best, before she gets tired. And during our best recent visits I have read written accounts of my early life, which trigger her memories.

I love my mother and I am grateful for the wonderful example she has been throughout my life. In recent months we have felt that she is slipping away from us. It is a real blessing to have a visit like the one today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home