Bill's Genealogy Blog

Bill Buchanan is a long-time genealogy enthusiast, living in Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada. This blog will describe my experiences as I research my family history and help others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada

I am a retired online school teacher. I love family history. From 2007-2020, I spent much of my time providing part-time support for the world's largest free family history site https://familysearch.org This is very rewarding. I have helped others with the Family Tree and related FamilySearch products.
In 2010-2018 I served in the Edmonton_Alberta_Riverbend_Family_History_Centre..I have a FHC blog at Bill's Family History Center Blog Since 2020 I have been a family history consultant for Edmonton Alberta North Stake. For information on the Latter-day Saints and family history click https://www.comeuntochrist.org/

Sunday, March 05, 2017

Success in researching Judy's Constable family

This past week I have had a lot of success researching Judy's Constable family, who lived in the Beverley area of Eastern Yorkshire England.

We knew that the parents of Jane Constable, who married Robert Teal were Thomas Constable and Hannah Smith, but we were stuck at that point.

This time, I found tons of information at FamilySearch and some online parish registers.

https://archive.org/stream/registersofparis15cher/registersofparis15cher_djvu.txt

http://www.ebooksread.com/authors-eng/yorkshire-parish-register-society/the-publications-of-the-yorkshire-parish-register-society-volume-15-goo/page-5-the-publications-of-the-yorkshire-parish-register-society-volume-15-goo.shtml

The Teale family was from the Howden area of Yorkshire, but I found Jane's christening a little bit north of there, in the North Cave parish. Her ancestors were mostly found in Cherry Burton parish, which apparently consisted of a main street and surrounding farms. Her ancestor Richard Constable, born 1601 is described in his son Richard's marriage record as an "inholder", which I believe to be the same thing as a "inn keeper". He was definitely not a "husbandman" or farmer, like most of his neighbors.





Marriage Register:
A marriage intended to bee had betwixt Richard Constable of  Chirriburton [Cherry Burton] sonne of Richard Constable of the same Inholder &  Marie Trewlove doughter of W"^ [Wm.] Trewlove pish [parish] of Kirk Bourne Husbandman both of the age of twentie yeares and upwards were published in the pish  [parish] Church of Cherryburton, &c. vid June 3** 

* This paragraph is lined and the following substituted. 
The Registers of Cherry Burton. 53 
1655. 1'^^ same pties [parties] weere published againe as abovesd the lo*'^ day of June, &c. The same pties, &c., the 17'^ day of June. Richard Constable abovesd was Married to the above named Marie Trewlove the third day of Julie 1655. Att Etton. In the presence of Mary Trewlove by mee J. Canlabye: 

Tracing this family back another 173 years has been a beautiful experience. The big unanswered question is "Who were the parents of Richard Constable of Cherry Burton, who was born in 1601?" I do not see that the Cherry Burton register and FamilySearch answer this question, The Cherry Burton parish register covers that time period and other Constables were christened there, but apparently not Richard. I suspect that his father is Thomas, who had 7 children christened or buried there in 1605-1624, but there is a chance that his father was John, who had a son Marmaduke christened in 1599.

It is thrilling to be looking for "our" people in records that are over 400 years old! I feel that I have come to know these families and the little community where they lived.

To me it points to the necessity of returning to your data and looking at it again and again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home