Bill's Genealogy Blog

Bill Buchanan is a long-time genealogy enthusiast, living in Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada. This blog will describe my experiences as I research my family history and help others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada

I am a retired online school teacher. I love family history. From 2007-2020, I spent much of my time providing part-time support for the world's largest free family history site https://familysearch.org This is very rewarding. I have helped others with the Family Tree and related FamilySearch products.
In 2010-2018 I served in the Edmonton_Alberta_Riverbend_Family_History_Centre..I have a FHC blog at Bill's Family History Center Blog Since 2020 I have been a family history consultant for Edmonton Alberta North Stake. For information on the Latter-day Saints and family history click https://www.comeuntochrist.org/

Saturday, November 19, 2016

Relocating Old Stories

My mother, at age 96 lives in an extended care facility. She has had to downsize her "holdings" in recent years. Recently, I inherited some of her old photos, newspaper clippings, and announcement cards for births, marriages, and deaths.

I decided that the Memories area of FamilySearch's Family Tree was the safest place to store them, where they would be safe and still accessible to all family members for free.

I was reminded that thousands of hours worth of family history was sitting in my free website, that could vanish instantly with no advance warning. This has happened to me several times in the past. I have it all backed up on my computer, but if I die, I doubt that anyone in the family would know how to find this material. So I made the big decision to move all of this material to FamilySearch Memories. It has been a big job, but things have survived the journey.

You know how one thing leads to another ...

I decided to add three books I created in 2008-2009 about early Buchanan history to Memories too. That led me to clean up the genealogy of the 22 chiefs of Clan Buchanan (1016-1682 AD) as best I could in Family Tree. I have basically finished that project too. But I am tired.

Judy is at a women's activity at church. I think I will curl up with NetFlix and maybe some popcorn, and watch StarTrek for a couple hours.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home