Bill's Genealogy Blog

Bill Buchanan is a long-time genealogy enthusiast, living in Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada. This blog will describe my experiences as I research my family history and help others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada

I am a retired online school teacher. I love family history. From 2007-2020, I spent much of my time providing part-time support for the world's largest free family history site https://familysearch.org This is very rewarding. I have helped others with the Family Tree and related FamilySearch products.
In 2010-2018 I served in the Edmonton_Alberta_Riverbend_Family_History_Centre..I have a FHC blog at Bill's Family History Center Blog Since 2020 I have been a family history consultant for Edmonton Alberta North Stake. For information on the Latter-day Saints and family history click https://www.comeuntochrist.org/

Thursday, April 05, 2012

Personal Ancestral File and Android

I was recently asked whether PAF can run on Android devices. The answer of course is no, for at least two reasons.

1. hardware (Android tablets and phones do not use an x86-based CPU)
2. software (Android is a different operating system than Microsoft Windows)

But this does not mean you can't use PAF to take your genealogy with you on your Android tablet or smart phone.

You use PAF's Create webpage function to create an HTML version of your PAF database. It takes 10 minutes if you have done it before, but longer if it is a new experience.

Then use the USB cable to copy the website (folder of HTML files) from your Windows "Documents" folder to your Android device. My 7" Iconia tablet has a slot for an external microSD card, so I chose this as my destination. I expected that clicking the index.htm file on my Android would launch the website, like in Windows. Not so! I needed to install a free app named OpenHTML. Now I can click on index.htm and select OpenHTML to open my PAF website in my default Android browser. Or I can launch OpenHTML to open my PAF website. I should be able to add my index.htm file to the browser favorites to make life even simpler.

This is a read-only solution, but it is a handy one to know if you have PAF and an Android tablet or phone. And it is free.


Bill

2 Comments:

Blogger GeniAus said...

Thanks for this post, Bill. I have a dded a link to it from the Android Genealogy Blog androidgenealogy.blogspot.com

Thursday, April 5, 2012 at 8:56:00 PM MDT  
Blogger Alan and Judy said...

Thank you. I can now take my husband's paf files to the UK in 2 weeks time for discussion with his cousin. I have them on Galaxy Note 8. I
would like to transfer files to another family history program but that's after we return. Do have any advice on doing this. Thanks again Judy.

Friday, June 14, 2013 at 6:16:00 AM MDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home