Bill's Genealogy Blog

Bill Buchanan is a long-time genealogy enthusiast, living in Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada. This blog will describe my experiences as I research my family history and help others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada

I am a retired online school teacher. I love family history. From 2007-2020, I spent much of my time providing part-time support for the world's largest free family history site https://familysearch.org This is very rewarding. I have helped others with the Family Tree and related FamilySearch products.
In 2010-2018 I served in the Edmonton_Alberta_Riverbend_Family_History_Centre..I have a FHC blog at Bill's Family History Center Blog Since 2020 I have been a family history consultant for Edmonton Alberta North Stake. For information on the Latter-day Saints and family history click https://www.comeuntochrist.org/

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Busy ... Busy ...
On one of the forums I belong to, I saw a posting about the free e-book Windows_7_The_Missing_Manual.pdf (downloadable from a variety of sites). So I downloaded it. It looks like this 849-page book is free for 45 days. So I am busily reading. So far I am on page 247, and I find it very useful. I was considering installing my old IBM ViaVoice dictation software, now I find that Windows7 already has dictation software built in. There are lots of other neat tricks and shortcuts.

Data Entry
It seems like irony, for such a slow and klutzy typist as me to be asked to manually enter two family history books into a genealogy database. I have completed the info on the smaller, first book, and I have started on the second book. The second book is in German, a language that I gained a brief acquaintence with in 1969, and where I have forgotten nearly everything I learned. Still, after a 2-hour session with a native speaker of German, I was up and running. ... well at least crawling! The vocabulary used is very minimal, which helps. I am currently on page 20 of 425. I am using the free Personal Ancestral File 5.2 software for the data entry. I have never found anything faster and easier.

I am enjoying our brief but beautiful summer!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home