Bill's Genealogy Blog

Bill Buchanan is a long-time genealogy enthusiast, living in Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada. This blog will describe my experiences as I research my family history and help others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada

I am a retired online school teacher. I love family history. From 2007-2020, I spent much of my time providing part-time support for the world's largest free family history site https://familysearch.org This is very rewarding. I have helped others with the Family Tree and related FamilySearch products.
In 2010-2018 I served in the Edmonton_Alberta_Riverbend_Family_History_Centre..I have a FHC blog at Bill's Family History Center Blog Since 2020 I have been a family history consultant for Edmonton Alberta North Stake. For information on the Latter-day Saints and family history click https://www.comeuntochrist.org/

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Bingo! on Indexing
Why do I do indexing of Ontario births, where I usually get credited with 12 records for batch, when I could be doing 1930 US censuses and get credited with 50 records per batch? (No money changes hands either way, just maybe bragging rights, although I have never heard anyone bragging about it!) Well back to the question ... because there is a million times better chance that I will index one of my relatives.

This morning I indexed two batches. The second one came up as Elma, Perth, Ontario. My family lived there until 1879, and left some relatives behind! Just maybe ....

Sure enough, there was the birth registration 029002 of William Thomas McCauley, a second cousin to my father! I already had the information, but what a thrill it was to see the image of the actual page, and to be part of making this image available to future generations! 


It was even a thrill to see the signatures of the register, Thomas Fullerton, who registered the vital events of my family members in previous years. In 2002, I remember seeing his gravestone in the Trinity Cemetery near Donegal, where all of the gravestones were bulldozed into a big pile. (It was such a total contrast to the beautiful Donegal Cemetery just a couple of miles away.)

If you would like to do some indexing in your spare time, visit http://indexing.familysearch.org/ In an hour or less you do your part to make records available to family historians.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home