Bill's Genealogy Blog

Bill Buchanan is a long-time genealogy enthusiast, living in Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada. This blog will describe my experiences as I research my family history and help others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada

I am a retired online school teacher. I love family history. From 2007-2020, I spent much of my time providing part-time support for the world's largest free family history site https://familysearch.org This is very rewarding. I have helped others with the Family Tree and related FamilySearch products.
In 2010-2018 I served in the Edmonton_Alberta_Riverbend_Family_History_Centre..I have a FHC blog at Bill's Family History Center Blog Since 2020 I have been a family history consultant for Edmonton Alberta North Stake. For information on the Latter-day Saints and family history click https://www.comeuntochrist.org/

Sunday, March 06, 2011

VHS to DVD
Back in 2002 Judy and I took a vacation trip that we had dreamed of doing for years. Why not? I was now retired, we had a new car, and we both foresaw health issues that were not yet serious. And our son Andrew was willing to come along and help with the driving.

We drove from Alberta to Neepawa, Manitoba, where my great grandparents had settled in 1879, and spent a few days visiting relatives and visiting places of interest in our family history. My cousin Darlene offered to let us stay at her house and to help us in our quest while in Manitoba. Then on to Donegal, Ontario, where our family settled in 1847. We were able to attend the big 80th birthday party of a cousin and meet many of the relatives. We also scanned old photos to add to my growing collection.


Cemetery in Donegal, Ontario

Then we visited Niagara Falls, crossed into New York, attended the Hill Cumorah Pageant at Palmyra, and followed the Mormon Trail west to Ohio, Illinois, Missouri, and Nebraska. Then we drove home by way of Raymond, Alberta, where we visited Judy's aunt, Sally Hippard. We had borrowed Laurel's camcorder, so we had recorded some videos of the trip, which I copied to VHS tape for our use. Nine years passed.

I knew that my brother, Lloyd had the necessary equipment to copy VHS tapes to DVD. I was anxious to not lose the recordings from this trip, and I asked if he would help me. I think it was a bigger job than I expected, but he did it. I now have our trip recorded on DVD and as an MPEG2 file for posterity.

Thanks Lloyd! It is much appreciated.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home