Bill's Genealogy Blog

Bill Buchanan is a long-time genealogy enthusiast, living in Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada. This blog will describe my experiences as I research my family history and help others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada

I am a retired online school teacher. I love family history. From 2007-2020, I spent much of my time providing part-time support for the world's largest free family history site https://familysearch.org This is very rewarding. I have helped others with the Family Tree and related FamilySearch products.
In 2010-2018 I served in the Edmonton_Alberta_Riverbend_Family_History_Centre..I have a FHC blog at Bill's Family History Center Blog Since 2020 I have been a family history consultant for Edmonton Alberta North Stake. For information on the Latter-day Saints and family history click https://www.comeuntochrist.org/

Friday, January 07, 2011

PROBATE OF JAMES THOMPSON
The following document sent to the 'Thompsons of Collow' group by Jenny Salmon answers the old question "Which brothers of Ann Thompson Buchanan came to Canada?"


Various people had suggested that one or two of Ann Thompson's brothers had come to Canada from Ireland, possibly on the same boat with the Buchanans in 1847. No one has given their names.

Annie Bray Buchanan McMane in the 1960s mentioned that she had been invited by the Thompson cousins [who would be second cousins to her] in Michigan to come for a visit, and that she hoped to find answers to some family history questions. She never told me whether she had made the visits or whether she had found out anything.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

IN THE SUPREME COURT
OF THE COLONY OF VICTORIA,
IN ITS PROBATE JURISDICTION

In the estate of James Thompson
late of Geelong
in the Colony of Victoria, Laborer, deceased Intestate

I Gerrat Thompson, of Ballarat in the Colony of Victoria, Laborer make oath and say –
1. That I am seeking to obtain administration of the Estate of the above named deceased.

2. That the said deceased died on the sixteenth day of October one thousand eight hundred and seventy one Intestate and was at the time of his death a widower and unmarried.

3. That the said deceased left real estate in the Colony of Victoria of the value of sixty pounds and personal Estate in the said Colony of the value of twenty one pounds.

4. That the said deceased left him surviving five sons and four daughters all above the age of twenty one years namely Robert and William and Ann at present residing in America, John at present in New Zealand, Alexander at present in Queensland, Margaret now the wife of William McClelland of Lara, Jane now the wife of Gabriel Hunter of Ballarat, Catherine now the wife of George B Hogg of Ballarat in the said colony and me this deponent who are his only surviving next of kin entitled by law to share in his property.

5. That I am the person entitled to administer the estate of the said James Thompson deceased Intestate and I am the only son of the said deceased hereof in the Colony of Victoria.

6. That I have made careful enquiry and search but am unable to find any Will of the said deceased.

7. That if I obtain administration, I will well and truly collect and administer according to law, to the best of my knowledge and ability, the property, lands and heriditaments, goods, chattels, and credits of the said deceased at the time of his death, which at any time after shall come to the power or control, hands, or possession of me as his administrator or of any other person or persons for me: that I will make or cause to be made a true and perfect inventory of all and singular the property, lands and heriditaments, goods, chattels, and credits of the said deceased which shall come to the hands, possession or knowledge of me, or to the hands or possession of any other person or persons for me, and the same so made will sign with my proper handwriting, and will exhibit and deposit, or cause to be exhibited and deposited, the same inventory in the office of the Master-in-Equity within three calendar months next ensuing the order granting administration; and, further, that I will make or cause to be made a true and just account of the administration of   [the document apparently continues on another page]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So which of Ann's brothers came to Canada? Apparently Robert and William! Did they stay? It is possible that William returned, as there is a William Thompson of Collow married to Jane Speer who raised a family in Ireland. But some Thompson descendants were living in Michigan in the 1960s.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home