Bill's Genealogy Blog

Bill Buchanan is a long-time genealogy enthusiast, living in Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada. This blog will describe my experiences as I research my family history and help others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada

I am a retired online school teacher. I love family history. From 2007-2020, I spent much of my time providing part-time support for the world's largest free family history site https://familysearch.org This is very rewarding. I have helped others with the Family Tree and related FamilySearch products.
In 2010-2018 I served in the Edmonton_Alberta_Riverbend_Family_History_Centre..I have a FHC blog at Bill's Family History Center Blog Since 2020 I have been a family history consultant for Edmonton Alberta North Stake. For information on the Latter-day Saints and family history click https://www.comeuntochrist.org/

Thursday, December 16, 2010

I have to believe in angels. They came to my rescue three times yesterday.
They were dressed in ordinary clothes and claimed to be my neighbors, but I know who they really are and who sent them.

We had a heavy snowfall. Backing up my long driveway onto the road, I drove fast enough that my momentum would help me to break through any drifting. But I overshot the road very sightly, getting stuck. A young man came by and pushed my car to help me get going. He told me that the "all weather tires" on my new car were not suitable for the weather conditions, and suggested that I stay home that day if possible. As I drove to Edmonton the weather report, listed the highway as "treacherous". I passed numerous vehicles in the ditch.

Coming back home about 9 PM, I found that our subdivision road was not snowplowed. "This does not look good!", I thought. About 1 km before my house, the last set of recent tracks turned off the road. I was now beating a new path through the snow. A slight hill brought me to a stop. I was stuck in the middle of the road. It was definitely "prayer time". Then I backed up and put kitty litter for traction in my tire tracks. I took a few runs at the road, and advanced a few car lengths after maybe 20 tries. Then I saw headlights behind me. ... old rectangular headlights on an older pickup truck, like the one that had stopped to help me that morning. The driver walked up, and I recognized my earlier rescuer. "I see that you made it out safely. My truck is just 2-wheel drive, but if we can move your car towards the shoulder of the road I can get by, then I will come back and push you. If you can follow in my tracks, you will be OK." With amazing speed, he shoveled a place for me to pull over to the side of the road, and helped me to move my car. He drove past me and stopped at the top of the hill, and then walked back to push my car. I drove up behind his truck, and then I carefully followed in his tracks as he drove past my house, where I turned into my freshly plowed driveway.

Hmm... I don't have a snowplow! Even if I did, my good wife would not have the strength to operate it. It seems that another angel had been hard at work!

Thank you angels! ... all angels, wherever you may be! Thank you for all of the good you do for the people around you.

May there be other angels sent to help you, in your time of need. God bless you all! May you have a wonderful Christmas!

1 Comments:

Blogger mjhellman said...

I absolutely loved your story about Angels. When things like this happen it refreshes your mind to believe there really are angels all around us all of the time.

So glad you shared your story. Any idea's who plowed your driveway?

Mary

Thursday, December 16, 2010 at 12:45:00 PM MST  

Post a Comment

<< Home