Bill's Genealogy Blog

Bill Buchanan is a long-time genealogy enthusiast, living in Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada. This blog will describe my experiences as I research my family history and help others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada

I am a retired online school teacher. I love family history. From 2007-2020, I spent much of my time providing part-time support for the world's largest free family history site https://familysearch.org This is very rewarding. I have helped others with the Family Tree and related FamilySearch products.
In 2010-2018 I served in the Edmonton_Alberta_Riverbend_Family_History_Centre..I have a FHC blog at Bill's Family History Center Blog Since 2020 I have been a family history consultant for Edmonton Alberta North Stake. For information on the Latter-day Saints and family history click https://www.comeuntochrist.org/

Friday, October 15, 2010

A Piece of History A few days ago I received a package in the mail. In it there was a variety of genealogy items including the tiniest possible ziplock bag containing a little piece of stone and an explanatory note. I have deleted details that might cause problems for the person who removed two tiny fragments of stone from a historical site. "You are receiving a piece of [the ancestral home]. [My daughter] didn't see me take them and couldn't believe I'd taken them when I showed them to her in Dublin. She says 'Mom, I can't believe you actually did that -- can you imagine what would happen if all the [family] that go there did that!' Oh well --- say I." I found this story amusing. I was the one that encouraged the traveler to physically touch the walls of the ancestral home when she visited it. I didn't suggest taking unauthorized souvenirs, and the daughter asks a very valid question. I think the best answer is "Take nothing but photos, leave nothing but footprints." The two of them visited the dining room at the ancestral home and sat down. The waitress came to them and said "This is a private club. You are members aren't you?" "Of course", replied the mother with a smile, and they proceeded to order their meal and enjoy it. She is a fun gal, and she loves her ancestors. I hope they got a chuckle or two from her adventures that day. I am touched that she would think of me at such a special time and place. I will probably never get a chance to travel to the old country to touch those walls. I appreciate my own little piece. Please don't do it again, but thank you! You are wonderful, and I am blessed to know you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home