Bill's Genealogy Blog

Bill Buchanan is a long-time genealogy enthusiast, living in Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada. This blog will describe my experiences as I research my family history and help others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada

I am a retired online school teacher. I love family history. From 2007-2020, I spent much of my time providing part-time support for the world's largest free family history site https://familysearch.org This is very rewarding. I have helped others with the Family Tree and related FamilySearch products.
In 2010-2018 I served in the Edmonton_Alberta_Riverbend_Family_History_Centre..I have a FHC blog at Bill's Family History Center Blog Since 2020 I have been a family history consultant for Edmonton Alberta North Stake. For information on the Latter-day Saints and family history click https://www.comeuntochrist.org/

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

An interesting morning so far ... I received this link from my brother Lloyd http://www.wimp.com/copymachines/ I had no idea that digital photocopiers have a hard drive that stores an image of every page ever copied or faxed, and that these pages can be retrieved and reprinted by later purchasers of used machines. You might want to check it out. Of course, police records, health records, and other confidential records are of greater concern than your genealogy records. But you maybe don't want to photocopy your birth certicate, driver's license, taxation and insurance documents, and credit card information on a digital copier. A safer alternative might be a multi-function printer-scanner-copier attached to your own computer. These do not normally store copies of the images. If you have a separate scanner, one of the free photocopier programs available on the internet will give you the ability to use it with your printer to photocopy documents. A web search for: free photocopier software will bring up several possibilities. I have used the free one from www.nicocuppen.com/ for several years. It seems to me that storing previously copied documents on a photocopier is a design flaw in the commerical copiers themselves. I certainly consider it a security flaw. Part of the powering-down process should be the deleting all copies made during the latest session. It can't be hard to incorporate into the design, and should not be a $500 option! __________________________________________________________________ The next email I received was from someone researching Buchanan families that immigrated to Canada. At the bottom of this message was this notice: IMPORTANT: This email remains the property of the Department of Defence and is subject to the jurisdiction of section 70 of the Crimes Act 1914. If you have received this email in error, you are requested to contact the sender and delete the email. I guess he sent it from work. I sent him a copy of the CBS photocopier video link above and suggested he check it out. Maybe the Australian Department of Defence will appreciate a "heads up" notice.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lori H said...

Wow, Bill that is scary. I would bet that few people know about this.

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 at 5:15:00 PM MDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home