Bill's Genealogy Blog

Bill Buchanan is a long-time genealogy enthusiast, living in Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada. This blog will describe my experiences as I research my family history and help others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada

I am a retired online school teacher. I love family history. From 2007-2020, I spent much of my time providing part-time support for the world's largest free family history site https://familysearch.org This is very rewarding. I have helped others with the Family Tree and related FamilySearch products.
In 2010-2018 I served in the Edmonton_Alberta_Riverbend_Family_History_Centre..I have a FHC blog at Bill's Family History Center Blog Since 2020 I have been a family history consultant for Edmonton Alberta North Stake. For information on the Latter-day Saints and family history click https://www.comeuntochrist.org/

Friday, May 07, 2010

Happy Birthday Mom! Wednesday was Mom's 90th birthday. She is doing well and although there is a shuffle to her step, her mind is still sharp. During the day she received numerous birthday greetings in person and by telephone. Then at 5 pm a bunch of us took her and her sister Vi out for supper at a Chinese smorg. It was fun to get together and honor Mom on this special birthday.

Mom, in the burgundy sweater
Extinction of the Ing name Vi asked me whether I knew of any other male Ings in the family. I had to say no. Her brother Charlie, at age 93, is the last male Ing left in our family. I thought about the hundreds of Ing descendants. My 2g-grandfather Robert Ing had three sons, William, Thomas and Henry. William and Henry died childless. Robert also had three daughters. Thomas had 10 children including 6 sons, but only three sons lived to adulthood: Thomas, James and Richard. This Thomas never married. James had one son, George who remained a bachelor. He also had two daughters. Richard had two sons, Walter and Charles, as well as four daughters. Walter had three sons, who all died young. Charles has a daughter but no sons.
When Charles dies, the name Ing will die with him - at least in our family. The ancient Saxon name of Ing will persist in other families. And we, Robert's descendants, know that to some extent we are all Ings!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home