Bill's Genealogy Blog

Bill Buchanan is a long-time genealogy enthusiast, living in Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada. This blog will describe my experiences as I research my family history and help others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada

I am a retired online school teacher. I love family history. From 2007-2020, I spent much of my time providing part-time support for the world's largest free family history site https://familysearch.org This is very rewarding. I have helped others with the Family Tree and related FamilySearch products.
In 2010-2018 I served in the Edmonton_Alberta_Riverbend_Family_History_Centre..I have a FHC blog at Bill's Family History Center Blog Since 2020 I have been a family history consultant for Edmonton Alberta North Stake. For information on the Latter-day Saints and family history click https://www.comeuntochrist.org/

Sunday, October 18, 2009

It occurs to me that in another few weeks, my support mission will be finished. Soon things that are now part of my daily life will start fading from memory, so I would like to make note of some of them. I am putting the finishing touches on the agenda for my weekly Sunday night meeting with my group of FamilySearch support missionaries. Some of the items on the agenda are carried forward from previous weeks, some come from my Thursday meeting with my Team Lead (Luisa Welsch), and others are pressing items that have come to my attention during the week. Of the 12 people in my group, I can usually count on the majority attending. My meeting is scheduled to last one hour. On Tuesdays we all have a 90 minute training meeting put on by Mindy Flores and Mary Ritchie. On Mondays, Wednesday mornings, and Thursdays my main job is to monitor the requests for help in our Skype chats. As requests come in, I offer suggestions to support missionaries and offer to join their telephone calls. During the first 6 months or so, I spent my time answering phone calls from patrons, then when I was asked to be an ML, my responsibilities changed. Sometimes I long for those "good old days". I have loved helping patrons on the phone. Answering email requests for help is OK, but I loved the telephone calls. By the end of the phone call I would know whether or not I had solved the problem, with email I can never be sure. Judy is playing the piano quietly as I sit here. She makes my life better in every way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home