Bill's Genealogy Blog

Bill Buchanan is a long-time genealogy enthusiast, living in Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada. This blog will describe my experiences as I research my family history and help others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada

I am a retired online school teacher. I love family history. From 2007-2020, I spent much of my time providing part-time support for the world's largest free family history site https://familysearch.org This is very rewarding. I have helped others with the Family Tree and related FamilySearch products.
In 2010-2018 I served in the Edmonton_Alberta_Riverbend_Family_History_Centre..I have a FHC blog at Bill's Family History Center Blog Since 2020 I have been a family history consultant for Edmonton Alberta North Stake. For information on the Latter-day Saints and family history click https://www.comeuntochrist.org/

Sunday, May 03, 2009

Saturday, April 18th was a busy day for me. In the morning I gave a presentation to a church group made up mostly of LDS Family History Consultants from the greater Edmonton area. My topic was "How to Get Help From FamilySearch Support". It was a Powerpoint presentation on FamilySearch, and the resources and help available. Obviously it included the toll-free support number 1-866-406-1830 and the email address support@familysearch.org I also mentioned that we are in need of good people to join our ranks as "support missionaries". Interestingly, a week later all LDS Family History Consultants received an email message from Salt Lake City extending the same invitation. Great minds think alike? or the Spirit was conveying the same message? It was an enjoyable meeting. My session followed an excellent session on research and research standards by Sue Barnsley, the trainer for the Edmonton Riverbend Family History Center. In the afternoon I gave a presentation "How to Put Your Genealogy on the Internet", Session D3 at the Alberta Genealogical Society's annual conference in the Chateau Louis Conference Center. This was a "live" session, and I had been warned that the internet connection in that room had not been working that morning. David Obee was giving the session before mine, and I decided to attend it to see if the internet connection was working. David gave an excellent session, but it was a slide presentation. I kept sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for him to access the internet but it never happened. At the end of his presentation, I went to my car to grab my old Win98 laptop, thinking that the laptop David used was his own. When I got back, someone pointed out that the laptop he had used belonged to the AGS and was available to all presenters. And the internet connection was working perfectly. I plugged my flash drive in the AGS laptop and I was "ready to roll". The people in attendance were excellent, and I was able to answer most of their questions as I demonstrated registering at http://tribalpages.com/ and uploading a gedcom file for an instant family tree on the internet. Then I demonstrated registering at http://blogger.com/ and doing a blog posting. I also demontrated registering at http://scribd.com/ and uploading an electronic document. Lastly I went to http://rootsweb.ancestry.com/ and discussed their message boards. Unfortunately I couldn't find one for Rogate, Sussex. I should have chosen a surname board, but the people in attendance seemed very satisfied with my presentation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home