Bill's Genealogy Blog

Bill Buchanan is a long-time genealogy enthusiast, living in Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada. This blog will describe my experiences as I research my family history and help others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada

I am a retired online school teacher. I love family history. From 2007-2020, I spent much of my time providing part-time support for the world's largest free family history site https://familysearch.org This is very rewarding. I have helped others with the Family Tree and related FamilySearch products.
In 2010-2018 I served in the Edmonton_Alberta_Riverbend_Family_History_Centre..I have a FHC blog at Bill's Family History Center Blog Since 2020 I have been a family history consultant for Edmonton Alberta North Stake. For information on the Latter-day Saints and family history click https://www.comeuntochrist.org/

Sunday, May 24, 2009

I have finished putting William Buchanan of Auchmar's 1723 book, "A Historical and Genealogical Essay Upon the Family and Surname of Buchanan" into a genealogy database. I plan to upload a gedcom file and a descendancy chart to my web site later this week. On a personal note, our weather has been rather pitiful, with occasional snow, but it is getting much better this last few days. I rented a roto-tiller, as mine refused to start despite all of my efforts. The rental unit worked perfectly, and took less time than my old tiller. I have to admit I found the more powerful tiller a bit stenuous for someone as out-of-shape as I am. On Mothers Day we were not expecting any of the kids home since our church meetings are in the afternoon. (We share a chapel with another congregation, and we get mornings on alternating years.) After we got home, Blaine phoned and asked if they could come over, we said "Yes, but it will only be us." About 10 minutes later I heard a car door slam, and thought "That was fast!" I looked out of the window and saw Laurel's family, followed about 10 minutes later by Andrew's family, then eventually Blaine's family. Rob was working, and Evelyn's family and James' both had car problems. But we had a good-sized group and had a wonderful time. During the week we replaced the alternator and battery in Evelyn & Ed's car, so they have transportation again. I dropped my copy of the Consumer Reports Annual Auto Issue over at James & Karin's house, and the car they bought was a new Hyundai Elantra , one of Consumer Reports' "Best Buys". That should solve their car problems for a few years. Evelyn and Ed are probably a few years from being able to do so. We hope for the best. So far our blue 2001 Pontiac Sunfire is still doing well at 325,000 km. I was not worried about driving it to Lethbridge and back. Saturday May 16th we drove down to Lethbridge for Judy's brother's wedding. We enjoyed meeting Anna, Bob's fiancee and much of her family. Anna and Bob met through their karaoke club, and after the wedding supper, it was dancing and karaoke time. (In case you wonder, I am a good listener.) Then Sunday we stopped off for church at Claresholm, and drove back home in time for my weekly 8 pm online FamilySearch group meeting. I am keeping very busy, and Judy has been busier than ever, planting the garden. But we are enjoying life.

1 Comments:

Blogger BuchananAus said...

Hi Bill
Greetings from a Buchanan from downunder, Australia. Love your blogging.

In relation to the family trees from the book you have loaded, have you sen the family trees at the following website?
http://www.stirnet.com/HTML/genie/british/bb4ae/bindbb.htm.
There are 11 family trees that cover this genealogy already, and more.

I am interetsed in finding out more of the Buchanan genealogy, particularly with the continuing Y-DNA links. I can be emailed at buchann@iimetro.com.au.

Cheers
Malcolm Buchanan
McKellar, Australia

Friday, June 5, 2009 at 11:02:00 PM MDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home