Bill's Genealogy Blog

Bill Buchanan is a long-time genealogy enthusiast, living in Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada. This blog will describe my experiences as I research my family history and help others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada

I am a retired online school teacher. I love family history. From 2007-2020, I spent much of my time providing part-time support for the world's largest free family history site https://familysearch.org This is very rewarding. I have helped others with the Family Tree and related FamilySearch products.
In 2010-2018 I served in the Edmonton_Alberta_Riverbend_Family_History_Centre..I have a FHC blog at Bill's Family History Center Blog Since 2020 I have been a family history consultant for Edmonton Alberta North Stake. For information on the Latter-day Saints and family history click https://www.comeuntochrist.org/

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Yesterday, the installer from Xplornet installed our satellite internet access. It looks very good so far. I have used dial-up access for many years with local BBS and then the internet. Until two years ago this worked well. But by a year ago the difficulty in connecting increased to the point that I bought a new modem, assuming that the old one was becoming defective. The new modem has the same problem as the old one. Over the past year it has become so bad that it has taken up to an hour for the modem to connect with the ISP. Very often the connection speed was 7.2 or 9.6 kpbs - much too slow for internet access. I investigated DSL, digital cellular internet access, and wireless, but none of these couild reach my rural home. Satellite was the only option left. I had to cut down 30 trees to get satellite access, but it is working!

1 Comments:

Blogger Sherry Pierce Thurner said...

I found your page on the Buchanan geneology very useful. My great great great maternal grandfather was Thomas Pearson Hodgson, married to Sarah Dumond. My great great grandfather was William James (James) Hodgson, and my great grandmother was Sarah Ellen (Nellie) Hodgson. I've been nosing around in my family history, and recently visited Lopez Island, where Nellie and her sisters Jannie and Dora were raised after their mother died and their father disappeared from the picture. I'm not really sure what happened to him. I'm still looking around for more information about those earlier generations. Thanks for the extra material you've given me.

Tuesday, October 9, 2007 at 11:59:00 AM MDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home